JONATHAN H. SINGER
Jonathan Singer is a real estate and business attorney who delivers big firm experience in a boutique setting. Jonathan regularly counsels developers, investors, property owners and purchasers, small business owners, lenders, borrowers, landlords, and tenants on a wide range of complex real estate transactions and disputes. Jonathan also assists clients in the negotiation of various forms of agreements, including easements, licenses, listing agreements, operating agreements, option agreements, and liability waivers.
Jonathan’s recent experience includes: representing purchasers and sellers of office, industrial, retail, multi-family, and farm properties; advising landlords and tenants in connection with the leasing of office, retail (including mall, anchor tenant, small shopping center, and street-level properties), and industrial (including flex and warehouse) spaces; negotiating and documenting real estate loans on behalf of borrowers and lenders; advising purchasers on zoning regulations and other land use laws with respect to target properties; and negotiating easements on behalf of property owners.
Jonathan is a fifth generation Portlander with deep roots in the community, where he remains active in civic and community affairs. Before joining Barg Singer, he practiced law in the Washington, D.C., office of O’Melveny, a global law firm, and in the Portland office of Miller Nash Graham & Dunn. Prior to beginning his legal career, Jonathan was a political consultant and writer, in which capacity he interviewed high-profile political figures ranging from Barack Obama to Bob Dole.
In his spare time, Jonathan enjoys listening to and playing jazz, traveling the world and to the Oregon coast, watching the Blazers, and spending time with his family.
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- Oregon State Bar, Real Estate and Land Use Section
- Oregon State Bar, Business Law Section
- Oregon State Bar, Construction Law Section
- Multnomah Bar Association
- NAIOP, Oregon Chapter
- Urban Land Institute, Northwest Chapter
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law (J.D., 2010)
- Pomona College (B.A., cum laude, Politics, 2006)
- Oregon Jewish Community Foundation, professional advisors group (panelist), July 20, 2017
- Greater Portland Inc., real estate development panel (moderator), June 21, 2016
- Jonathan has been selected for inclusion as a Rising Star in Oregon Super Lawyers magazine for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. For more information visit www.superlawyers.com.
- Oregon Jewish Community Foundation, executive committee (2018-present)
- Oregon Jewish Community Foundation, trustee (2015-present)
- Mittleman Jewish Community Center, director (2016-present)
- Portland Jewish Academy, director (2016-present)
- Greater Portland Inc., Bay Area Best Practices Trip, participant (2019)
- Jewish Federation of Greater Portland, nominating committee (2017-2018)
- Oregon Bus Project, director (2014-2018)
- Greater Portland Inc., Brooklyn Best Practices Trip, participant (2017)
- Jewish Federation of Greater Portland, Annual Gala Celebration, co-chair (2016)
- Oregon Jewish Community Foundation, Giving Council, member (2015-2017)
- Greater Portland Inc., Denver Best Practices Trip, participant (2016)
- Portland Business Alliance, Leadership Portland, graduate (2016)
- Congregation Shaarie Torah, member
- Congregation Neveh Shalom, member
- Congregation Beth Israel, member
- Multnomah Athletic Club, member
- Oregon Daily Journal of Commerce, "Oregon Rent Control Comes to the Fore" (February 28, 2019)
- Portland Business Journal, “Real estate investors head south for an ‘atypical’ $22.5M buy” (November 1, 2018)
- The Oregonian, “Striking Measure 36 would not infringe religious liberty” (April 5, 2014)
- The Oregonian, “The nomination of Goodwin Liu: The Ninth Circuit deserves another superlative mind” (March 7, 2011)